"Roy T. Fielding" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>                                                 However, the code
> will work fine regardless of the warning, so it probably isn't
> worth the effort to support no warnings on anything but the latest
> gcc.

you mean the latest glibc

Previously, we had a warning on OS/390 and Tru64 (and I guess the level
of glibc which comes with RH 7) because they had no const, and a clean
compile everywhere else.  I left it alone since their iconv() did not
match the de facto standard and I didn't want to put in a cast that
people on normal systems would not understand.  I certainly didn't
want a cast which would cause warnings.  I had no qualms having the
warning on Tru64 and OS/390 (not that many people build it on these
platforms and it kept the code simpler).  Now, most users (I'm
guessing, but it seems like a safe guess) will see a warning, so
something needs to be done.

I'll look into using a different cast trick (or autoconf test) which
will avoid the warning on all platforms.  As long as there is a
reasonable comment in the code I suspect people will live it alone (do
you hear that Greg? :) )

Have fun...
--
Jeff Trawick | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | PGP public key at web site:
             Born in Roswell... married an alien...