Some of you may have noticed that I tagged the tree last night with a tag
APACHE_2_0_BETA_CANDIDATE_1.  this is because the httpd project is
changing the way we do releases.  Up till now, I have always just tagged
and released APR whenever I tagged Apache 2.0.  This is no longer a good
idea IMHO.

I think we need to finally decide on a release strategy for ourselves.  I
would like to propose the following:

We tag and roll once a week, with the current tree.  Once we have rolled,
everybody tests that tree, and we determine what level it is at.  This
testing will basically be, does this tree pass all tests on all platforms,
and does it work with the projects that are currently using it.

This mirrors the Apache 2.0 tag/roll process, which is a good thing IMO.

I will be tagging from now on using dates instead of words, but I would
like to see us tag and roll as often as possible, even if that means that
we release a new tarball every week.

Since we are about to start building beta and GA releases of this code, I
would also like to remind people, that changing API's is going to become a
no-no without an incredibly good reason as soon as we release the first
beta.  We need to start to look like a library project, which means that
we can add new API's and deprecate old ones, but removing or changing an
API should be a very difficult process.  I should mention that I have
recieved e-mail already asking how stable our API is, because other Open
Source projects want to use APR, but they don't want to have to fight our
API to do it.

Ryan
Ryan Bloom                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131