> . we *know* that versions of glibc < 2.2 have "const char **"
>   instead of "char **" so make that work without any hints.m4
>   stuff (which would have to look at the glibc version)

Why not check for GCC and simply add -Werror to the compile?

> This should get RedHat 7.0 compiling cleanly, but I don't have such a
> system to test with.

I do, but my glibc has already been updated.  One warning: the
glibc update RPM distributed by RedHat is completely broken -- among
other things, it installs a timezone for EST and breaks ld.conf.

I think the final patch should remove the first cast of inbufptr
that I added in my initial "fix".

....Roy