On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 12:58:04AM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> Is it possible to get a partial checkin? That'll let us review pieces as
> they go (easier to do a small bit, than a huge one), and you won't have to
> worry about tracking other changes to the build system.

The APR changes include changing the directory name from helpers
to build and the filename from buildconf to buildconf.sh, which pretty
much eliminates the commit diff.  The nice thing is that it will
be easy to resurrect the old buildconf if needed.

I could make the changes one-by-one, but it would effectively double
my work because none of the interim changes would survive.

> >    * make each "top-most" buildconf.sh set up the subdirectory configures
> >      directly with autoheader and autoconf, rather than running each of
> >      their buildconf.sh scripts.  This will remove most of the redundant
> >      libtool and configure checks, force the whole tree to be built with a
> >      consistent set of flags, and allow each independent tree's buildconf.sh
> >      to be specialized for standalone builds of that tree.
>
> Not sure about this one. Are you talking about APR building a libtool, and
> having the other pieces just use APR's copy?

Whichever buildconf is called first would create the libtool and
define BUILD_BASE for use by the others.

> >    * modify all of the Makefile.in files to use the new @VARS@
>
> I'm presuming that your @VARS@ is intended to replace config_vars.mk. Why
> put it into each Makefile.in? Couldn't the @VARS@ just go into rules.mk.in?

Yes, they go in rules.mk.in, but the $(VARS) and @INCLUDE_RULES@ need to be
added to the individual Makefile.in files.

....Roy