Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> Correct me if I am wrong, but all these changes and problems are
> simply to reduce the three parameters of a standard autoconf macro
> to one parameter in an APR-specific macro?  If so, then -1 --> that
> kind of change is why our buildconf setup is so much less portable
> than typical configure scripts, and what I have been trying to get
> rid of over the past few weeks.  Do it the autoconf way or don't do
> it at all.

There's nothing anti-autoconf in creating macros that use and extend
AC macros, in a way that results in fewer bugs.

IMO the reason why our present system is so much less portable is
because instead of having a simple but brain-dead Sys7-shell based
script, we have a m4/shell combo where we have to worry about all
the various "enhancements" and "flavors" of both. Instead of
working on the actual script that runs, we work on a script that
calls m4 which then calls sh, and all those layers create portability
concerns that don't show up "immediately".

I *still* can't get PHP to build on some admittedly older systems
(that use the old SysV 'ar') without major pain, because libtool
assumes that 'ar' doesn't truncate filenames > 14 chars. So the
use of autoconf doesn't imply that everything will automatically
be portable :)

   Jim Jagielski   [|]   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   [|]   http://www.jaguNET.com/
          "Hell is hot, that's never been disputed by anybody."