> ok studying the mpm threaded.c code i see that we give each thread a
> sub_pool of pchild.  but i think the following patch would be safe,
> because each thread won't exit until it has done its own cleanup.

The last time I looked at the pool code it was bogus because clean_child_exit
assumed every pool was descended from the process root and several new
parentless pools had been added to the code -- I never got around to fixing
that, but this change would make it worse.  I think it would be better to
remove the global pool free list so that the application could init multiple
root pools (each with their own root free list, or with no free list if we
can show that to be more efficient).

OTOH, it seems the new sms code just needs a whack upside the head to
stop it from asking for extra memory from its parent.

....Roy