On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 01:54:14AM +0200, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> ah, yes, but it _is_ supported by DCEthreads - see
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/freedce which provides,
> horror-of-horrors, thread cancellation *emulated* on
> top of POSIX threads.
[snip, snip]
> ... but what i am basically saying is, on NT and Unix,
> thread cancellation _is_ possible, it's just that i
> think you might not be too happy about the coding-route
> you might have to take to _do_ it :) :)

Possible, but not robust.  And, it would add 3.5 million lines
of code to APR.  Well, we could the APROS in that many LOC.  =)
Kind of like Quake - have an OS inside of your web-server.

Thread cancellation just opens up a can of worms not because the OS
doesn't support them, but because their semantics are ill-defined.
We'd have to add cancellation points to our code.  Not going to
happen.  Well, I'm not going to do it.  I might even veto it out
of pure spite.  =)  -- justin