From: "Sander Striker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2002 6:29 AM

Agreed, this is an apr feature.  If we have higher level constructs to stuff
info into or out of an apr_ipc_ entity, those could live in apr_util (much
like rmm does.  In fact, rmm would already work for some sorts of marshaling,
but it's isn't ideal.)

There are two features that we can't neglect, however, while designing this.
They can be supported on nearly any platform, but the devil is in details.

The first is passing fd's from one process to another.  fd's, that is, that
weren't created by a common ancestor.  This requires streams, domain sockets
or win32 DuplicateSocket tricks.

The second is passing auth entities from one process to another.  Same deal.

But for Win32, please keep in mind we actually have to conduct a round-trip
conversation.  In Unix, you simply pass the fd on through.  On win32, the
sender needs a handle to the recipient process (or it's process id.)  So
details do vary a bit.

I'd like to keep this light.  I'll posit my httpd idea for a parent-child
process conversation queue in just a bit.  But that's much heavier (I think)
than what our apr_ipc_ users require.

Bill