On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 12:00:16PM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> [ moved from [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list ]
>
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 09:21:36AM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> > This shouldn't be too much of a problem because BDB will try to
> > hide that, but APR will *not* handle large files on Linux since
> > they disable sendfile() with 64bit files.  Since APR is
> > network-oriented and we like sendfile(), we don't allow 64-bit
> > file mode in APR on Linux.  And, consequently, we've never enabled
> > 64-bit support on Unix - only Win32 has largefile support in
> > APR.  -- justin
>
> Couldn't we have large file support in APR for Linux, but just not allow
> sendfile on those files?
>
> I find it pretty awful to not have large file support in APR, from a basic
> portability library standpoint.

Nope, glibc will stop us from even *compiling* if we have
FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 and we include sys/sendfile.h.  So, it isn't
something where we can even be selective about our usage of
sendfile().  It's an all-or-nothing deal on Linux (and again,
sys/sendfile.h comes from glibc, so it isn't really Linux's fault,
but glibc's).

At the time, no one seemed interested enough in having this
capability to flesh out the following patch which should be the
autoconf magic required for 64-bit file support on Unix:

http://www.apache.org/~jerenkrantz/apr_largefile.m4

It worked on Linux and Solaris here, but since it stopped sendfile()
usage on Linux, I stopped and asked the list what to do.  No one
replied or commented.  =(

I had/have other things that I can spend my time on where I can help
release 2.0.  The group wasn't interested, so I dropped it.  -- justin