Cliff Woolley wrote:
On 28 May 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

jwoolley    02/05/28 16:15:10

 Modified:    .        CHANGES configure.in
 Log:
 Added --with-devrandom=[DEV] configure flag which allows a particular
 "/dev/random"-compatible device to be specified, overriding the
 default search path (/dev/random then /dev/arandom then /dev/urandom).
 Also, if --with-egd=<path> is specified, it now implies
 --without-devrandom.

Okay, Ben, I believe this patch implements what you've said you prefer,
and it makes a lot of sense to me as well.  Here's what we have now:

1) If --with-egd=<path> is specified, --without-devrandom is assumed
   and the EGD socket is used as the source of entropy.

2) Otherwise, if --with-devrandom=<DEV> is specified with a particular
   device, that device is used as the source of entropy.

3) Otherwise, if --with-devrandom (with no =<DEV>) is specified or
   --with-devrandom is not specified at all, we search
      /dev/random
      /dev/arandom
      /dev/urandom
   in that order.

4) If the search in #3 fails, we try looking for the truerand library.

5) If none of the above is usable, we have no source of entropy.

Does that sound right?

I still say it needs to be configurable at runtime as well. Apart from that, yes.

Cheers,

Ben.