On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 10:39:10PM -0700, Brian Pane wrote:
> If the new time type is an abstract type, the common operations on
> it will be:
>     - Native C scalar + and - operations for time arithmetic
>       (for performance and simplicity reasons)
>     - Macros to extract seconds and microseconds

As Roy pointed out, this is partial hiding.  I'm now of the mind
that it should be a full ADT under an abstract type.  Therefore,
the +/- operations should be handled by an API.  (For performance
reasons, it can be a macro - say apr_time_add/apr_time_diff which
do the obvious C scalar operations.)  But, under no circumstances
for this solution, can the user do *anything* with the value
without going through some API.

If that bugs you (and it well might), then we need to go the
apr_busec_t route and rename every APR time function.  -- justin