--On Wednesday, April 16, 2003 8:14 AM -0400 Jeff Trawick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The context where I see this as useful is with utility routines (e.g.,
support libraries) that perform operations using the socket but don't have
any leeway in how the app uses pools.  (This is a natural for an iol
implemented using a socket iol "enhancement" to APR, since there is no
leeway on interface in order to work with all unmodified APR apps.)

Hmm. Do they really need multiple key/value pairs across libraries? Why can't the iol 'own' the socket data? It can then be a hash or something that the iol layer wants. Are we thinking of when there are multiple iol implementations competing? Bah.

The overhead of building a unique key for every get/set operation is a giant
concern to me.

Maybe there is a better idea for how to make the key unique without
performing any expensive operations.

Store that key in the apr_socket_data? Another cheesy idea may be to use a linked list with the key in the structure. I'm just really thinking that for the general case, a key/value backing (like a hash) is overkill. I'm just not clear this is going to be more than 2 or 3 elements at most...

shrug

Perhaps it would be preferable to have no socket user data at all rather
than a limit of exactly one item...  unclear...

Yeah, unclear. -- justin