On 5/30/05, Mladen Turk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I just browse the source code for the httpd and in 99% there is a
> single need for apr_xlate API, and that is to convert from
> ISO-8859-1 to EBCDIC if someone is using IBM at the first place.

or Fujitsu

> So IMHO we can write a simple converter for that, and get rid
> entirely of iconv dependency from apr-util.
> Someting like apr_ascii_to_ebcdic should do thought.

something so simple would work for HTTP protocol data but not bodies;
the body translation is useful on more than just EBCDIC machines;
check out "Russian Apache" for an extreme example (an incredible
amount of work put into patches for Apache 1.3 to translate body
data); no EBCDIC anywhere close

> If someone wish to use the translation mechanism, well, the
> there is apr-icov project that should in that case provide
> the full apr_xlate api.

So where does system iconv fit in?  It is an important feature to be
able to use system iconv when available, since translation plug-ins
which users have collected for their data in the past will work with
apr-util apps as well.

> Only mod_charset_lite uses the full capability of iconv stuff,

(as far as Apache is concerned, as far as I know)

> so what's the point to link the apr-util with the
> iconv/apr-iconv anyhow?

if system iconv doesn't exist or isn't good enough