Cliff Woolley wrote:

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Joe Orton wrote:

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 01:49:55AM -0500, William Rowe wrote:
At 09:24 PM 8/15/2005, Garrett Rooney wrote:
So back in Dec 2003 Sander Striker suggested [1] adding Subversion's macros for
manipulating apr arrays (APR_ARRAY_IDX, which automates the casting needed to
access entries in the array, and APR_ARRAY_PUSH, which automates the casting
needed to add entries to the array) to apr_tables.h.  Roy Fielding commented
[2] that he felt the macros tied the interface to the implementation too much,
and Greg Stein replied [3] that they had to be done as macros, not functions,
because of the need to pass a type name for the cast.
IIUC, these are not typesafe?
APR arrays are fundamentally not type-safe object stores.

In case it's not clear, these are the macros in question:

/** index into an apr_array_header_t */
#define APR_ARRAY_IDX(ary,i,type) (((type *)(ary)->elts)[i])

/** easier array-pushing syntax */
#define APR_ARRAY_PUSH(ary,type) (*((type *)apr_array_push (ary)))

I'm fine with adding these.  +1
+1, in case we need another vote. I know we'd go barmy in SVN without these macros.

-- Brane