In my opinion two separate functions, one for commit and one for rollback will be better and produce more readable code for the application. I am not aware of a single DB API out there that combines these two operations into one function. This does not mean it does not exist of-course, however it does suggest that using one function is somewhat unusual and probably undesirable.