On Mac OS X (10.4), I'm seeing APR-Util's configure fail to use Berkeley DB 4.4 from MacPorts. The reason for this is two-fold:

1) exit() is undefined in the C test code used to validate db.h. This can be fixed by #including stdlib.h in C code generated from the autoconf macro which performs the test (in build/dbm.m4). I've attached a patch against apr-util trunk which fixes this problem.

[[[
* build/dbm.m4
(APU_TRY_BERKELEY_DB): #include stdlib.h to allow header file test code
   to compile under Mac OS X.
]]]

2) libdb can't be found, because MacPorts installs its Berkeley DB libraries under PREFIX/lib/db44/ (where PREFIX is /opt/local), a location which is not looked in by apr-util's autoconf macros. The MacPorts folks tell me that this is their strategy for allowing multiple versions of Berkeley DB to happily co-exist. This looked a bit messier to fix.

Thanks, Dan

p.s. Please CC me on any replies, as I'm not sub'd to this mailing list.