On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 19:03 -0600, Steve Comstock wrote:

> but that's one reason I'm so pissed: apparently the version shipped
> with httpd is not the correct version. This would never be tolerated
> in the mainframe world.

1.3.0 was the best version at the time of the httpd-2.2.9 release, so
httpd folks correctly shipped that with it, after testing on various
platforms. Your platform may have not been included in the testing
though - we are all volunteers and access to all hardware is not always
possible.

We fixed some (non-critical) bugs since and released 1.3.2. More will be
fixed in 1.3.3 and so on. Future releases of httpd will include those
higher versions, of course.

> but wait: I do the gzip to unzip, but do I need to
> use pax, in order to convert to EBCDIC, or can I
> just use tar?

I am really not sure on this one - never used an EBCDIC system.

--
Bojan