On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 7:40 AM, Bill Weir <william.w...@sun.com> wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> Thanks for your replies.  I notice you didn't respond to the question about
> when apr-1.3.10 might hit the streets? :-)

There's certainly no formal plan, and I don't recall anyone discussing it.

> My only reservation about your suggested fixes is that the Apache I'm
> building is not destined just for in-house use, but is going to be bundled
> with another product.  If I do some patching as you suggest, it's not clear
> to me how a prospective user will know that I have done that.  If they look
> at the Apache config they will see that it is apache-2.2.14 with apr-1.3.9,
> but they won't know that it's apr-1.3.9 with additional fixes - so they
> might be excused for assuming it will have the problems that apr-1.3.9 is
> known to have.  That's why my preferred solution is to use apr-1.3.10 when I
> have the option to do that.

Disabling the use of Event Ports via the environment variable is a
valid configuration option.

(In general I don't see how discussions with customers regarding
applicability of fixes or vulnerabilities can be avoided.  Good luck
with that ;) )