Eric,

Thanks for the explanation, I get it now.

I was hoping to avoid the design decision that I have to make now--deciding
beforehand what size of shared memory block to obtain.  I had hoped that I
could simply allow the available resources be available to me, not wasting any
space with an overestimate, not getting thwarted by an underestimate.

I am aware of RMM with SHM and will now implement my scheme using that setup.
Your explanation of the spawning of child processes is what made all the
difference.  I see now how the shared memory works, I was misunderstanding it
before.

Thanks for your help and time.

Rich Yonts
sola fide, sola gratia, solus Christus, sola Scriptura, soli Deo gloria