On 10 Feb 2011, at 8:13 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

On 2/10/2011 8:27 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
What's holding us up for a release of apu-1.4.0?

There have been calls for API review, nobody answered them. I'd vote -1 at this point in time to ship unreviewed API additions and have already pointed out function argument signature flaws that must be fixed. (Turns
out apr_dbd was used as the 'model', but apr_dbd itself was flawed in
that respect from its introduction, and should be corrected at 2.0).
Also the apr_crypto_device_ctx should never be passed, it should become part of the apr_crypto_ctx structure itself. Stack bytes are much worse
than heap bytes.

The work you describe above was completed and committed to apr-trunk over 12 months ago[1], and my key concern is that nobody has noticed that this took place.

I do realise that the key focus for many of the people who would be looking at APR[-util] has been httpd, with a desire to get httpd v2.4 ready for beta, and I expect it explains why eyeballs haven't been looking at apr of late.

Right now, I have a big queue of work to be cleared that was stuck behind a whole lotta admin, but when that's cleared I can devote some time to backporting r899910 to apr-util v1.4. It would help immensely if people could look at the API on trunk and ensure that the issues that were raised are indeed solved.

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=899910

 And I haven't seen clear feedback of original critics
that their concerns were answered in the most recent refactorings.

People had time then, perhaps they don't have time to follow up now. The most important thing is that the people who do have time now understand the original concerns and are able to ascertain that the concerns have been addressed. This is why we have communities around code, to ensure that one person doesn't become a single point of failure.

Regards,
Graham