On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 12:29 PM, William A. Rowe Jr.
<wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> I have one dev question for my apr_fnmatch() refactoring
>
> Today we lowercase the two characters (and don't support case-insensitive
> range matches at all, I won't change this apr-specific quirk).  But IIRC
> there are language with multiple lower case representations of the same
> upper case character, but never (or at least, rarely) visa versa?
>
> Shouldn't we upcase both the text and match chars, instead, to better
> support non-ASCII locales?  (Obviously, this ignores utf-8 issues, and
> I'm not going to enable MBCS in this next release, but will at least make
> it possible to enhance for MBCS later on, without changing fn prototypes).

No real answer, just some comments...

* FWLIW, it is tolower() now "just because."  It was originally toupper().
* For interesting text, it could change behavior, and we don't have
bugs filed now, right?
* For interesting text, neither toupper() nor tolower() nor == is
correct!  (So don't bother changing behavior.)