On 2/27/2012 10:15 AM, Mat Booth wrote:
> On 27 February 2012 15:34, Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 9:13 AM, Mat Booth <mat.bo...@wandisco.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> When using the install target of Makefile.win on Windows, I noticed
>>> that it does not install all the headers necessary for using the
>>> platform specific features of APR. Please see the patch to fix it
>>> below.
>>
>> These aren't APIs so they're not supposed to be installed.  (Using
>> httpd on Windows with out of tree apr by any chance?)
>
> Well, I'm building Subversion, which #includes
> arch/win32/apr_arch_utf8.h in a couple of places.
>
> However, had I bothered to read to the source, I would have read this:
>
> #ifdef WIN32
> /* FIXME: We're using an internal APR header here, which means we
>    have to build Subversion with APR sources. This being Win32-only,
>    that should be fine for now, but a better solution must be found in
>    combination with issue #850. */
> #include <arch/win32/apr_arch_utf8.h>
> #endif

Never mind that Tomcat does the same thing.  httpd does the same thing.

It's the same OS screws as applied against OS/X, a refusal to acknowledge
compiler-driven input (e.g. the same apr.h files on OS/X should work for
both 32 and 64 bit, ppc and intel).  So OS/X is not fixed.  Windows install
is not fixed.

Actual users fork the install step to add the arch spec includes.  But the
contents of include/arch were rejected as public API's, just as the OS/X
patch was rejected.  I'm afraid the group is a little too literal about
a particular definition of 'portability' over usefulness.

So in the real world, Windows and OS/X don't actually appear as the APR
project agreed to.  It's an interesting dichotomy, one that the APR devs
have expressed no desire to reach consensus about.