On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 12:33 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net>wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 16:07:37 -0800
> Mike Rumph <mike.ru...@oracle.com> wrote:
>

> > On 11/6/2013 1:06 PM, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> > >
> > > I just played with _commit() on stdin a bit.  It turns out that
> > > _commit(0) fails if stdin is redirected (main.exe < somefile) but
> > > works if stdin is a tty.  That's the opposite of _commit(1 or 2).
> > > But I don't see how _commit(0) makes sense anyway, so I simply
> > > removed the call instead of reversing the corresponding _isatty()
> > > check in your patch.
> > >
> > > trunk: r1539455
> > > 1.5.x branch: r1539461
> > Okay Jeff,
> >
> > I just tried both stdout and stdin, and got the same results that you
> > did. Strange but true.
>
> IIRC the choice to _commit ahead of any handling of stdin/out/err
> reflected the possibility that bytes were queued/stuck in the FILE or
> the msvcrt 'fd' (not really an fd at all) before assuming ownership of
> the file handle.  It might have been an overreaction to a problem that
> wouldn't exist in practice.  But I'd prefer if this were left context
> sensitive to _DEBUG mode builds.

"The *_commit* function forces the operating system to write the file
associated with *handle* to disk"

_commit(fileno_stdout or fileno_stderr) fails if it refers to the terminal
whether or not it is a debug build.  It simply isn't a valid call.  I
called out the debug build issue in CHANGES because that is likely the only
case where anyone would encounter a problem symptom.  (_commit() otherwise
continues to return -1/EBADF and nobody notices.)

The fileno_stdin issue is even more odd as it took an opposite sense of
_isatty(fileno_stdin) to keep it from reporting an error, but I don't see
any connection between _commit() and stdin so it seemed most appropriate to
simply remove the call for stdin.

IOW, I don't see the need to tie this to debug builds because the calls are
invalid whether or not the RTL pops up the dialog.

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...
http://emptyhammock.com/