On 14.11.2013 00:09, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 4:51 PM, <rj...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Author: rjung
>> Date: Wed Nov 13 21:51:02 2013
>> New Revision: 1541745

>> Log:
>> Support out of tree build for traditional make.
>>

> I guess traditional is any non-GNU make?
>
> This is a regression.
>
> I don't mind another T&R tomorrow if people think it is warranted.

By "traditional" I meant non-cmake et al., so it applies to gnu make as
well (which I use on all platforms).

Out of tree won't work for make because the rule to create
include/private/apr_escape_test_char.h would try to write it into the
non existing directory include/private (only exists in source, but not
in new build dir). So an mkdir is needed. Furthermore the
include/private directory in the build dir wasn't in the include path.

Personally I think people doing out of tree builds are a minority and
can cope with a small Makefile patch. Theyshould be OK with it already
being fixed for the next release, so for me it wouldn't be a reason to
vote -1.

Regards,

Rainer