> I'm wondering how the group would react to refactoring some of APR 2.0
> to either offer inline code for many of our heavily consumed functions,
> or offering inline + fn implementations alongside one another?
>
> Would it still be necessary in this day and age to support C compilers
> that do not support inline at all, e.g. hide the inline declarations based
> on some macro switch leaving only the function stub?
>
> We can obviously debate the merits of which functions are most
> prime for optimization, including how mature each is (due to the
> fact that the user will be 'stuck' with the implementation until they
> recompile their own code against a new release of apr in the event
> of a bug or security fix).

Especially in case of security fixes it would be a real pain to require
all consumers of the library to recompile. This is one of the beauties of
dynamic linking :-).
So I would like to see it limited to very stable functions that exist for a
long time unmodified
and that have a small code base or we should give the developers a choice by
offering
both ways (inline + fn).

Regards

Rüdiger