On 27 December 2016 at 22:08, William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 24, 2016 at 1:23 AM, Ivan Zhakov <i...@visualsvn.com> wrote:
>>

>> Regarding my current problem: I'm getting the following when I attempt
>> to build expat:
>> [[[
>> runtestspp.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
>> _align_limit_to_full_utf8_characters referenced in function "void
>> __cdecl test_utf8_auto_align(void)" (?test_utf8_auto_align@@YAXXZ)
>> [D:\Ivan\SVN\expat-cmake\runtestspp.vcxproj]
>> ]]]
>

> That's a problem, yes. It looks like a possible expat build issue. Seems
> to apply to the expat test suite. You can toggle building tests in expat
> and obtain the necessary libs separately.
>
> I have no such issues; building expat 2.2.0 my working expat is;
>
> cmake -G "NMake Makefiles" -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=..\thirdparty \
> -D BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON -D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo \
> -D CMAKE_COLOR_MAKEFILE=OFF .
> nmake all install

I'm using Visual Studio generator. May be this explains the difference.

> I apply one patch to cmake to compile and link RelWithDebInfo correctly
> to emit .pdb's (It hadn't behaved as documented). This all is working
> under both Studio 2010 and 2015.
>
> FWIW - libxml2 is both a supported substitute for expat in apr-2, as well
> as a requirement for mod_proxy_html, which is why I'm leaning toward
> ignoring expat in the future and having both rely exclusively on libxml2.

Did you measure libxml2 vs expat performance? Btw Subversion depends
on libexpat directly because APR doesn't provide SAX XML parser
interface.

>> > Agreed. But three years down the road, after the expert who hand-crafted
>> > custom .mak solution has moved on to better things and we're on Visual
>> > Studio vNext, I'm guessing you'll find the same thing will happen there
>> > too
>> > -- unless you have a plan in mind to avoid it?
>> >
>> Well, Visual Studio vNext is going to support CMake builds out of the
>> box and it sounds very promising. But I cannot get it work for APR yet
>> :(
>
> Do you have a similar apr example, or is it simply that you got jammed
> in expat and couldn't move forwards?

I've just jammed in expat and didn't move forward.

> I also have this which illustrates windows builds;
>
> https://wiki.apache.org/httpd/WindowsTrunkCompilation
>
> Hope that proves interesting/useful.
Thanks for the link. Btw SourceForge now provides URL for unattended
package download. For example the following command downloads libexpat
2.2.0:
$ curl -L -o expat-2.2.0.tar.bz2
https://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/expat/expat/2.2.0/expat-2.2.0.tar.bz2

--