As I said... checking out and building 'your own tarball' on a
conventional system absolutely beats convincing AIX, Solaris

By "conventional" I think you mean "Linux" or anything with a reasonable
GNU toolchain and we all know that won't happen from IBM or Oracle. At
all. Lucky for me I have the latest perl, autoconf, m4 and such built
already and "python" still blows up neatly in any attempt to build from
sources. Don't even ask about PHP ver 7.x where code really gets
gnuified and ugly.

I like Nick's suggestion, I presume you can find 'patch' on all archs.

Yes Sir .. I am definately going in that direction.

Dennis