On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 11:19:24AM +0100, Stefan Eissing wrote:
> Stefan: which DEBUG flags are "you" using in production for OpenBSD? I
> would like to run some h2 tests in exactly that setting...

We pass --enable-pool-debug=yes to the configure script. That's all.

> Would OpenBSD be happy with a setting (COMPILE FLAG) that forces
> the immediate free() by allocators and otherwise skipping the DEBUG
> flags?

Yes, I think that would be great. I don't care about the pool debugging
aspects as much as the benefits we get from direct use of our nalloc/free.

> Personally, I would like that to be the default behaviour in httpd. The
> current implementation seems to hinder use of modern address sanitation
> tools and fuzzing. Something which has proven very valuable in h2.

Agreed. Note that OpenBSD's malloc/free provide a degree of instrumentation
similar to address sanitizer. This behaviour is tunable, and the default mode
is not the most aggressive one. But when applications don't call free when
they no longer use a chunk of memory, such instrumentation built into the
system cannot work. See https://man.openbsd.org/malloc#MALLOC_OPTIONS