On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 12:33 PM Dennis Clarke <dcla...@blastwave.org> wrote:

> On 4/6/19 10:47 AM, William A Rowe Jr wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 4:03 PM Nick Kew <n...@apache.org
> > <mailto:n...@apache.org>> wrote:
> >

> >     > On 5 Apr 2019, at 19:53, William A Rowe Jr <wr...@apache.org
> >     <mailto:wr...@apache.org>> wrote:
> >     >
> >     >    Apache Portable Runtime APR 1.7.0 Released
> >     >
> >     >    The Apache Software Foundation and the Apache Portable Runtime
> >     >    Project are proud to announce the General Availability of
> version
> >     >    1.7.0 of the Apache Portable Runtime library (APR). Version
> 1.6.1
> >     >    of the APR Utility library (APR-util) and version 1.2.2 of the
> >     >    APR iconv library (APR-iconv) remain current.
> >
> >     Thanks, Bill.
> >
> >     Just a quick note.  Some of the announcement (expat, MySQL and
> FreeTDS)
> >     relate not to this APR, but to APR-UTIL updates which are not part
> >     of this release.
> >

> > I'm aware. There is also the problem of our release tracking, we have
> > nothing
> > but apr versions there. I understood there is a mass-export-import
> > facility which
> > I'll look into, but basically "1.7.0" and prior all need to become
> > "apr-1.7.0" etc,
> > and then we need to import all the historical apr-util-* apr-iconv-*
> sets.
> >
> > Before the next release, we aught to split Announcement-x.x.x into
> distinct
> > files for the apr, apr-util and apr-iconv groups. As of 2.0.0 these all
> > merge up,
> > but in the interim...
> >

> >     I know you're keen to get an APR-UTIL update released reasonably
> >     soon, and I
> >     promise to tackle at least the XML issues I've been working on when
> >     I get back home -
> >     which I anticipate being second half of next week.  We also have
> >     some further
> >     MySQL updates from an external contributor, which I hope to find
> >     time to review
> >     in time for APR-UTIL 1.7.
> >

> > I was hoping that we could find a 6-12 week window for publishing the
> > next release.
>
> At least two months would be good. However Apache foo is a *major* piece
> of the planetary software ecosystem possibly more so than ISC software.
> So a quarterly schedule ( 3 months ) may be more reasonable.
>
> > Since I started thinking about it, I'm wondering whether we should push
> > towards apr-util-1.7.0, or just get to apr-2.0.0 already. Other thoughts
> > or observations?
>
> Neither at this time.

It will certainly be at least apr-util 1.7.0, or perhaps apr-2.0.0 which
rolls all of the functionality of the -util library into the apr core. There
have been a number of enhancements over the past year, present
on both branches, which committers are patiently waiting for release.

A cadence, in this case, is of no concern. In terms of maintenance
updates, 1.7.1 releases, I agree a periodic (3 mos or similar) refresh
cycle is helpful, when significant fixes are present and awaiting release.