I think the optimal way is to allocate a pair of apr thread-specific wchar
buffers in each thread's pool on startup, and use those exclusively
per-thread for wchar translations. We could be looking at 64k/thread
exclusively for name translation, but it doesn't seem unreasonable.

The alternative is to continue to use stack, we surely don't want to lock
on acquiring or allocating name translation buffers. /shrug