On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 1:20 PM Nick Kew <n...@apache.org> wrote:
> > On 9 Apr 2020, at 11:07, Johan Corveleyn <jcor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > [ cc -= dev@subversion.a.o ]
> >
> > Hi APR devs,
> >
> > The below report about a problem with Subversion working on 'subst'ed
> > drives (Windows), seemed to be related to a change in APR 1.7.0
> > (https://svn.apache.org/r1855950),
>
> That fixed a bug PR#47630 that had been extensively discussed in
> bugzilla and shows as having 22 watchers - that's a lot of interest!
>
> Does that discussion not throw any light on your issue?  For example,
> Michael Schlenker's comments there refer to that bug affecting SVN.

Thanks, I've read through that issue in Bugzilla now.

It definitely seems like a useful improvement for proper support of
(different types of) reparse points on Windows. I'm not saying this
bugfix needs to be reverted. And indeed, Michael Schlenker's comments
point to a specific problem affecting SVN (in combination with Windows
Data Deduplication, which creates reparse points with tag
IO_REPARSE_TAG_DEDUP). So in general this is a step forward, and will
probably benefit SVN for use on these specific types of Windows
systems.

However, I think this also broke something (or at least inadvertently
changed something) related to the usage of "SUBST" (as in 'SUBST G:\
D:\Development\TestWC'). The usage of "subst" is not mentioned
anywhere in PR#47630, so perhaps the compatibility with / impact on
subst was overlooked? I'm not an expert at all, but from what I could
find with a quick internet search, "subst" is very old (from MSDOS
times), and it seems it's not the same as a junction (? not sure about
the relation between subst and reparse points in general). In any
case, it's not clear to me that the fix for PR#47630 intended to
change something for "subst".

As a result of this problem, Subversion on Windows cannot switch to
APR 1.7.0 (it is used in TortoiseSVN 1.13.1, which is currently TSVN's
latest release, but it has been reverted in
https://osdn.net/projects/tortoisesvn/scm/svn/commits/28700 and
backported to TortoiseSVN's 1.13.x branch, so the next release will be
back on APR 1.6.5).

(To be clear: I have no personal stake in this, I don't even use subst
-- I just want to unblock this seemingly blocked situation for the
greater good :-), and also to get on with building svn's next release
candidate on Windows, for which I need to pick an APR version.)

--
Johan