On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 3:41 AM Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Related mostly to Windows port
>
> 1. Remove all those .dsp, .dsw .mak files from APR trunk
>     None of them works for years.
>     Replace all that with cmake
> 2. Remove all _WIN32_WCE, APR_NOT_IN_WCE
>     Just a bunch of code for Windows CE that
>     never worked, and no chance it will compile with
>     current Windows code

+1

> 3. Drop all that APR_HAS_ANSI_FS and APR_HAS_UNICODE_FS
>     Code in trunk need at least _WIN32_WINNT=0x0601 API

+1 - actually I'm favoring 0A00 since there is no flavor of supported
windows
not based on the server 2016/windows 10 API level.

> 4. Drop all references to apr-iconv project
>     Unusable for years

+1. I've always wanted to return to the citrus project sources as a better
maintained
alternative which is BSD licensed, but never find the cycles. to do so

> General
>
> 1. Remove all APU_XXX references
>     Since the apr-util is apr
>     remove all APU_XXX defines and API

Almost +1. We might still keep some of the most common APU identity macros,
although they are now one-in-the-same. There's no real reason we must
change
them, they are still clearly in the namespace.

> 2. Netware and OS/2
>     Both platforms are dead for years
>     IMHO bunch of relic code no one use

+.75

> 3. https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/apr/apr/trunk/include/apu.h?view=markup
>     More then 10 years ago ...
>
> I'm willing to solve all that since it's mainly
> cleanup of the copy/paste code that is dragging on for 10+ years
>
> It might even lead to apr-2.0.0-alpha1 :D

Sounding good to me, I'll chip in some help, but my next 3 weeks are still
pretty crazy.