Actually, I can see the version field used as a backwards-compatibility
mechanism that will enable to keep the same node type, while adding
functionality. (maybe even modifying functionality, but that is more
complex).

In general, I agree that the 1.0 spec is not clear about using this version
field, but the fact that version is consistently mentioned as a field in
all the types, allows imo for a possible use of it within ARIA. There is
not such a usage example of the version field in the 1.0 spec, I agree.