It seems like you have to be added as a "contributor" role before you can
be assigned to an issue at the moment.
I can't change this permission scheme myself. I think it might actually be
a single permissions scheme across Apache projects, but I'm not sure about
that.

In any case I added you as a "contributor" role on our project's JIRA, and
assigned you the ticket. Also made a comment on the PR.

Thanks!