> Netty buffer always allocate memory aligned to 64-bytes. So each new
> ArrowBuf will be aligned to 64-bytes as well, with offset = 0.

You confirmed that both the Netty chunk as well as buffer allocations
(ArrowBufs returned from here [1]) are on 64-byte offsets? Can you maybe
write some tests/add some assertion to the code so we protect against that
changing?

> ​I don't fully understand why new allocations should be on 64-bytes
> offset?​

As part of the Arrow spec, each separate piece of memory must have 64
byte-sized-word alignment and 64 byte padding. For example, if you have
NullableVarChar, you'll need three buffers: nullable bits, four byte
offsets and data buffer. Each of those must be on a 64 byte offset and be a
length that is a multiple of 64 bytes.

[1]
https://github.com/apache/arrow/blob/master/java/memory/src/main/java/org/apache/arrow/memory/BufferAllocator.java#L37