hi Uwe,

Absent an obvious ASF project to move the code to (I'm intrigued by
the idea of an "Apache C++ common" project, much in the way that Boost
became a sprawling library ecosystem of sorts), there may not be a
clear incentive the split the code out if Arrow is the primary
consumer. Particularly since a major goal of Arrow early on is to
facilitate faster IO between systems (even if they don't use the Arrow
data structures as their primary ones).

I'm working on a patch for talking to HDFS (with libhdfs) -- I figure
we'll start there and see how things go.

- Wes