Hi Dimitri,

Le 11/04/2018 à 12:28, Dimitri Vorona a écrit :

> I think, it comes down to the memory ownership. While Buffer apparently
> never owns it's memory (based on the doc string), a MutableBuffer can. So
> if you slice a MutableBuffer, and the memory gets deallocated, you've got
> the same problem.

I may be misunderstanding, but that sounds unlikely.  Can you post a
concrete example?

> Your proposed solution seems to be a safe one, we could even use
> shared_ptr::use_counts. But I'd rather invert the responsibility: a parent
> buffer can do with it's memory as it pleases, the slices get a way of
> checking if they are still valid.

That's inherently incorrect with multiple threads.

I think we should step back a bit: what's the use case, and what's the
minimal way to satisfy that use case without opening a whole can of worms?

Regards

Antoine.