hi Antoine,

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 2:35 PM, Antoine Pitrou <anto...@python.org> wrote:

> Hi Wes,
>
>> I'm not sure what's the best way to address this problem. The quality
>> of our code review has declined at times as we struggle to keep up
>> with the flow of patches -- I don't think this is good. Having the
>> patch queue pile up isn't great either.
>
> I'd like to do more reviews but due to the breadth of topics and
> technologies in our code base I don't feel competent for many of the PRs
> that are being posted.

As one of the top 3 maintainers (by # of patches merged) in 2018, and
the newest committer, there is no need to apologize for anything.

> For example, on a Rust PR I may do a brief review of concepts, APIs or
> general cleanliness, but not much more.
>
>> Personally, I'm having a
>> difficult time balancing project maintenance and patch authoring,
>> particularly in the last 6 months.
>
> I think it's ok to spend most of your time on reviewing and project
> maintenance.

That's what I will do for a while, but honestly it is creating a lot
of stress for me because we are not progressing very quickly towards a
feature-complete iteration of the columnar format and the ability to
do a 1.0 release. If I were able to spend more time writing patches, I
feel I could put more pressure on the project to reach that point
sooner.

>> Any thoughts about how we can grow the maintainership? Somehow we need
>> to reach ~5-6 core maintainers over the next year.
>
> Or more of them, if we want all topics to be covered by at least 1-2
> maintainers.

Agreed. As an example, Kou has done an excellent job maintaining the
C/GLib subproject and has been super responsive dealing with debugging
and packaging / release management issues.