Copying the list of issues with Slack from the vote thread:

* Semi-private
* Not indexed in search engines
* Not managed by the ASF or archived in a public place
* Not frequented by many Arrow developers

I think because of these things there is no way to claim that Slack is
an equivalent communication channel to JIRA, GitHub, or the mailing
list. Discussions relating to project governance or roadmap/planning
need to happen in a location that is consistent with the Apache Way
(open / public /  archived).

This is not to say that subcommunities cannot use other communication
channels to talk with each other (I use Google Hangouts frequently to
coordinate with Uwe or Phillip, for example).

I think it's fine for Graphistry to operate an Arrow-JS Slack channel
(as long as it its use does not violate the ASF trademark policy in
some way). Note that anything that is discussed there would be
considered "outside of the community" from a governance perspective.

- Wes