Jacques added more comments and expanded the protocol a bit. I've been
working this past week on an initial C++ implementation:

https://github.com/wesm/arrow/tree/flight-cpp-prototype

I hope to have a PR up for review this coming week. There are a number
of details (particularly the abstract server API for people to
implement their own Flight services) that will need some closer
scrutiny from all the various C++ consumers (including
C/Python/R/Ruby, etc.)

I'm leaving the memory copying optimizations for a follow up patch
(i.e. to have a single copy on write, zero copy on read); it will
require digging into gRPC internals so I'd prefer to implement and
have that reviewed separately