> There is one database that I'm aware of that uses sentinels _and_
supports complex types with missing values: Kx's KDB+.
I read this and was pleased that KDB is being used as a reference.  It is a
seriously good database: the gold-standard in many people's eyes.

> This has led to some seriously strange choices like the ASCII space
character being used as the sentinel value for strings.
But then I saw this. Surely if sentinels are good enough for KDB then isn't
that a sign that sentinels are not as bad as this group fears?

What about grouping and joining columns that contain NA?   Here's an
example from R data.table :

> DT = data.table(x=c(1,3,3,NA,1,NA), v=1:6)
> DT
       x     v
   <num> <int>
1:     1     1
2:     3     2
3:     3     3
4:    NA     4
5:     1     5
6:    NA     6
> DT[,sum(v),keyby=x]
       x    V1
   <num> <int>
1:    NA    10
2:     1     6
3:     3     5

The NAs are grouped as a distinct value and are not excluded for
statistical robustness reasons.  This is very easy to achieve efficiently
internally; in fact there is no special code to deal with the NA values
because they are just another distinct value (the sentinel).  In Arrow if a
bitmap is present, there would be more code needed to deal with the NAs
(either way: including the NA group or excluding the NA group), if I
understand correctly.