hi Paul,

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 8:59 PM Paul Taylor <ptay...@apache.org> wrote:

> Another update: all the existing features and unit tests are working
> again except for the Table/RecordBatch streaming toString()
> implementations (and the `arrow2csv` utility), which I'll update later
> tonight.
>
> On JS release cadence, I think Brian's right that the current setup is
> working counter to our original intent. I am used to (and prefer) a
> faster-paced release cycle, essentially releasing early and as often as
> bugs are fixed or features are added. Indeed, Graphistry maintains a
> repo <https://github.com/graphistry/arrow/commits/master> with the
> latest version of the library that we can build against, which I update
> when I fix any bugs or add features.

It is common for software vendors to have "downstream" releases, so
this is reasonable, so long as this work is not promoted as Apache
releases

> The JS project is young, and sometimes has to move at a rapid pace. I've
> felt the turnaround time involved in the vote/prepare/verify/publish
> release process is slower than would be helpful to me. I'm used to
> publishing patch release to npm as soon as possible, possibly multiple
> times a day.

Well, surely the recent security problems with NPM demonstrate that
there is value in giving the community opportunity to vet a package
before it is published for the world to use, and that GPG-signing
packages is an important security measure to ensure that production
code is coming from a network of trust. It is different if you are
publishing packages for your own personal or corporate use.

> None of the PMCs contribute to or use the JS version (if that's wrong,
> hit me up!) so there's been no release pressure from there. None of the
> JS contributors are PMCs so even if we want to do releases, we have to
> wait for the a PMC. My take is that everyone on the project (especially
> PMCs) are probably ungodly busy people, and since not releasing to npm
> hasn't been blocking me, I opt not to bother folks.

I am happy to help release the JS package as often as you like, up to
multiple times per month. I stated this early on in the process, but
there has not seemed to be much desire to release. Brian's recent
request to release caught me at a bad time at the end of the year, but
there are other active PMCs who should be able to help. If you do
decide you want to release in the next week or two, please let me know
and I will make the time to help.

The lack of PMCs with an interest in JavaScript is a bit of
self-perpetuating issue. One of the responsibilities of PMC members
(and what will enable a committer to become a PMC) is to promote the
growth and development of a healthy community. This includes making
sure that the project releases. The JS developer community hasn't
grown much, though. My approach to such a problem is to act as a
"community of one" until it changes -- drive a project forward and
ensure a steady cadence of releases.

- Wes