Hi everyone,

I wanted to gauge interest and feasibility for adding support for natively
reading an arrow::DictionaryArray from a parquet file.  Currently, writing an
arrow::DictionaryArray is read back as the native index type [0].  I came
across a prior discussion for this problem in the context of pandas [1] but I
think this would be useful for other arrow clients (C++ or otherwise).

The solution I had in mind would be to add arrow type information as column
metadata.  This metadata would then be used when reading back the parquet file
to determine which arrow type to create for the column data.

I’m willing to contribute this feature but first wanted to get some feedback on
whether this would be generally useful and if the high-level proposed solution
would make sense.

Thanks!

Hatem

[0] This test demonstrates this behavior
https://github.com/apache/arrow/blob/master/cpp/src/parquet/arrow/arrow-reader-writer-test.cc#L1848
[1] https://github.com/apache/arrow/issues/1688