Hi Arrow Dev,
Based on the recent thread on discussing and voting on changes to files
under format, I'd figure I'd try see how the process works for changes to
Schema.fbs to close out lingering time interval issues.  In particular,
ARROW-352 (Interval(DAY_TIME) has no unit) and ARROW-835 (Add Timedelta
type to describe time intervals).

I submitted a PR [1] that introduces a new DurationType that models
(sub)seconds (excluding leap seconds) as a 8-byte integer type.  Some of
these issues have been discussed previously, the most recent thread was
within the last month [2].

The reason for creating a new type is to avoid breaking changes with
existing types (in particular Interval[DAY_TIME] in Java).    I think
things worth discussing are:

1.  Is this a desirable change in principle?
2.  Naming: is DurationInterval a good name (should it be TimeDelta)?
3.  New Type: Should this be collapsed as a new enum on Interval (because
it excludes leap-seconds, I think it still technically falls into the class
of Calendar like objects).

Please feel free to add items for discussion.

I'm not sure the typical time that discussions are held open for, but it
would be great if we could try to get to a consensus sometime soon (and
then schedule a vote).  Maybe early next week is a good goal to aim for?

Thanks,
Micah

[1] https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/3644
[2]