I'd be happy to PR a fix for JS today if someone can link me to Wes's PR.

On 5/21/19 11:02 AM, Wes McKinney wrote:
I agree also. As a practical use case, the results of a request made
with Arrow Flight might yield an empty result set. I'm not sure if
this needs to be formally noted in the specification documents but it
might not hurt.

If someone can fix the Java implementation we could enable the
integration test (minus JavaScript for now) in my PR