On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 9:25 AM Jacques Nadeau <jacq...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 4, 2019, 7:05 AM Wes McKinney <wesmck...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > hi Jacques,
> >
> > I agree that we should allow ample time for discussions around issues
> > raised by people validating the release.
> >

> That is the main point here. There should have been a discussion about
> this. Different people are expecting different things out of Arrow and all
> perspectives should be considered.
>

> > That being said, with Ryan's issue, he is using a feature
> > (cross-language auth in Flight) that isn't being tested. The Flight
> > integration tests do not use authentication AFAIK so I'm not surprised
> > to hear that there may be an issue with it. It would be as if there
> > were a cross-compatibility issues between Python and Rust. Again,
> > would not surprise me because Rust is not included in the integration
> > tests. Even with a reproduction of such an issue I don't think it
> > should block the release in the future.
> >

> By definition, issues we find during the release are things we didn't know
> about before the release and either have no test or tests that failed to
> run. Having to be a regression or existing failing tests is too low a bar.
> If we figured out that there was major incompatibility between Rust and
> Python that would also warrant serious discussion even if there is a lack
> of integration tests. The discussion is where we figure these things out,
> not in a set of easily defined rules.

I agree that we expect at least a 24 hour window for further
discussion when issues come up. I hope this episode will serve as a
learning opportunity for the community -- we are all working toward
the same goals of progress and innovation. There are a huge number of
hungry mouths to feed with this project; I've been having tons of
people contacting me offline about timeline for this release also.

Personally, I think the principle solution here is to release more
often and to only block releases in the event of critical brokenness
(like an entire language library being fundamentally unusable). Having
2-3 months between major releases is creating too much pressure on
both the developer and user community. If releases were reliably
coming out once a month it would be better for everyone.

> > I'd be glad to help make a point release in the near future since we
> > uncovered quite a few small issues during this RC, and I think there's
> > more value in getting the software into the hands of users than
> > waiting multiple weeks to address them all.
> >

> Appreciated and needed. I've talked to 20+ companies in the last several
> weeks anxiously awaiting use of this Fight release. If this problem exists
> (still want to see reproduction), this makes the flight release unusable
> for the  use case they wanted to leverage it for.

Great. I think we need to have someone new be the next RM. For the
record, here is the record of mainline release managers so far:

Julien: 0.1.0
Uwe: 0.2.0, 0.12.1
Wes: 0.3.0, 0.4.0, 0.4.1, 0.5.0, 0.6.0, 0.7.0, 0.7.1, 0.8.0, 0.9.0, 0.11.1
Phillip C: 0.10.0
Kou: 0.11.0, 0.13.0, 0.14.0
Krisztian: 0.12.0

(I was also the RM for 5 JavaScript releases)