> It's not just computation libraries, it's any library peeking inside
> Arrow data.  Currently, the Arrow data types are simple, which makes it
> easy and non-intimidating to build data processing utilities around
> them.  If we start adding sophisticated encodings, we also raise the
> cost of supporting Arrow for third-party libraries.

This is another legitimate concern about complexity.

To try to limit complexity. I simplified the proposal PR [1] to only have 1
buffer encoding (FrameOfReferenceIntEncoding) scheme and 1 array encoding
scheme (RLE) that I think will have the most benefit if exploited
properly.  Compression is removed.

I'd like to get closure on the proposal one way or another.  I think now
the question to be answered is if we are willing to introduce the
additional complexity for the performance improvements they can yield?  Is
there more data that people would like to see that would influence their
decision?

Thanks,
Micah

[1] https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/4815