There have been some previous discussions on the mailing about supporting
64-bit lengths for  Java ValueVectors (this is what the IPC specification
and C++ support).  I created a PR [1] that changes all APIs that I could
find that take an index to take an "long" instead of an "int" (and
similarly change "size/rowcount" APIs).

It is a big change, so I think it is worth discussing if it is something we
still want to move forward with.  It would be nice to come to a conclusion
quickly, ideally in the next few days, to avoid a lot of merge conflicts.

The reason I did this work now is the C++ implementation has added support
for LargeList, LargeBinary and LargeString arrays and based on prior
discussions we need to have similar support in Java before our next
release. Support 64-bit indexes means we can have full compatibility and
make the most use of the types in Java.

Look forward to hearing feedback.

Thanks,
Micah