hi Weston,

One area that could be helpful would be to create a verification
procedure for wheels that uses virtualenv, see

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-5105

We've had a number of failures obscured by the fact that we produce
our macOS and Windows wheels with the assistance of conda packages, so
our build process, which is defined in these CI configurations (we
invoke them with our Crossbow tool)

https://github.com/apache/arrow/tree/master/dev/tasks/python-wheels

does not validate what happens when you try to use the wheel in a more
barebones Python environment

There are some other wheel-related JIRA issues if you search in the backlog.

Thanks
Wes