On Tue, 1 Oct 2019 at 21:03, Maarten Ballintijn <maart...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> I ran cProfile to understand better what is going on in Pandas. Using your
> code below I find that
> Pandas runs a loop over generic the datetime64 conversion in case the
> datetime64 is not in ’ns’.
> The conversion unpacks the time into a date-time struct and converts the
> date-time struct back
> into a Timestamp. This is clearly slow and unnecessary.
>
> Adding a dedicated us->ns conversion should be possible with much better
> performance.
> (either in Cython or C).
>
> I can add a request for this on Pandas-issues unless someone thinks this
> is not a good idea?
>
> Hi Maarten,

Also speaking as a pandas developer, I think it is certainly worth raising
this on the pandas issue tracker.

> Somewhat surprisingly, specifying the dtype on the pd.Series constructor
> triggers another code path
> which is a further factor ~5 slower.

Hmm, it seems in that case it is falling back to `pd.to_datetime`, which
has apparently no special support at all for non-ns datetime64 arrays, and
converts it first to an object array to then parse it again ..

Joris